Krill Oil Articles
- How to choose the best Krill oil?
- Krill oil is undoubtedly the best source of omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids and antioxidants. Simply knowing this isn’t enough. One also needs to be educated about choosing the best krill oil supplement from the available brands. There are several brands that sell krill oil and claim to be equally efficient and supplying the best krill oil supplements. However, consumers need to prevent themselves from the tall claims and look into the details when the question is of their health.
In order to opt for the best krill oil amongst the various brands one needs to carefully study the labels that are given with each packing of the supplements. One needs to take into account three important things before they decide on for particular brand oil. These include the size of the capsule, amount of phospholipids in a single krill oil dosage and lastly the cost of the krill oil capsules. Let us take these up one by one.
- 1. Size of the capsule: Capsules come in different sizes ranging from 500mg to 1000mg. However, one should opt for those krill oil capsules that come in sizes of 1000mg serving with 2 softgels, as this size is considered to be easier to swallow and less chance of leakage. This is so because the phospholipids within the capsule interact with the inner gelatin area causing it to erode. This explains the fact that the more the surface area as in the case of 1000 mg capsules, the more will be the erosion which shall in turn cause the capsules to leak. This could also mean that the freshness of the product would be compromised if there is leakage.
- 2. Amount of Astaxanthin: The amount of Astaxanthin in the Krill Oil is an important element in deciding which Krill Oil is superior. Health benefits of Astaxanthin is well known already in medical community. Higher the Astaxanthin in the product more benefits one can expect from using Krill Oil. In addition, to its numerous health benefits such as Eye Health & Joint Health, Astaxanthin helps Krill Oil stay fresh and prevent oxidation and helps to deliver fresh product for consumers.
- 3. The price of the product: One has to understand that all best things in the world come with a higher price tag! Similarly krill oil supplements are costlier as compared to fish oil supplements. This is so because, it is difficult to catch krill biomass and process it compare to fish. So, when you are shopping for krill oil supplements make sure you go for quality brands. One must clearly understand that brands that sell Antarctic krill oil shall list down the details of the product on their labels. So, it is best to always read the ingredients of the product before you decide to purchase krill oil of a particular brand.
- What do you know about krill?
- Krill is a marine inhabitant most commonly found breeding in the chill waters of the Antarctic Ocean. Scientists believe that this is the largest biomass in the world, its population reaching to a toll of 500 million tonnes. Antarctic Krill also scientifically known as Euphasia Superba. This specific specie of krill appear as shrimp or prawn like invertebrates or crustaceans and live in large swams, sometimes their concentration reaching to 10,000 – 30,000 individual animals per cubic meter. These small creatures are the food for the giant whales that depend on krill for their energy needs to support their giant body. Did you know that a blue whale eats up around 8000 pounds of krill each day during the feeding season. Not only whales, even the penguins, sea birds, squids and large fish depend on these tiny crustaceans for their daily food. Krill are semi – translucent and when they flock together in dense masses can turn the ocean’s surface to pink or red in color.
Krill Oil is natural and it is a renewable source of powerful nutrients. Several researches carried out prove that Krill Oil has properties that can help optimize health in many different ways. So, apart from fulfilling the hunger of other marine populace and being a delicacy in dinner plates, these tiny fish also serve as the power house of several nutrients. Krill has so much to offer for the healthy well being of the mankind and it is in abundance in oceans compare to fish population. Krill oil derived from Antarctica krill is a rich store house of omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids and Astaxanthin (an antioxidant). The combination of these 3 nutrients makes krill oil a premium natural source for benefiting several areas of health. It is Krill oil alone that has surpassed any other fish oil in executing its health benefits. Krill oil has been successfully used for treating joint problems, controlling diabetes, maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, help support healthy menstrual cycle and also is a beneficial source for improving cardiac functioning.As we know omega-3 fatty acids also known as essential fatty acids are very crucial for our health and our body can not produce them on its own. Krill oil as mentioned earlier is a rich source of this fatty acid and contains two types of important element namely, DHA and EPA. These 2 components help the body to fight against many health issues while reducing inflammation in joints. This fatty acid also helps to prevent blood clotting and is a strong mood supporter. Phospholipids found in krill resemble those found in human brain and are responsible for maintaining the chemical balance that supports the cognitive function, mood and sleep patterns.We are also aware of the protective effect that the antioxidants provide us. These antioxidants protect against the free radicals that are often the root for many health issues.
- Is krill oil a sustainable source of omega-3 today and in the future?
- Needless to mention, Antarctic krill is the core source of superior quality of omega-3 essential fatty acids as compared to fish oil. Krill is the largest biomass in the world. Krill population certainly weighs more than the humans on the earth and is certainly exceeds the population of all the marine life put together. Due to this fact, it is clear that krill cannot be scarce on the planet in the near future as well. Although Krill is food for whales, penguins and many giant fishes Krill harvesting is one of the most sustainable practices on the earth and krill is not expected to go off the planet in the future based on current harvesting and consumption numbers. Many studies have demonstrated that the population of krill ranges from 170 million to 740 million tons, having an annual production rate of million of tons. This reproduction rate ensures sufficient standing stock of renewable krill for both natural predators and human use. Since 1990, the annual krill harvest is approximately one tenth of one million tons. It is pretty obvious that there are more krill than are actually harvested.
Harvesting of krill biomass is very well regulated under strict international precautionary catch limit regulations that are reviewed and reassessed on a regular basis in order to ensure sustainability. Krill harvested for human consumption in the form of krill oil supplements is as less as 0.1% of the precautionary catch limits, as set by CCAMLR. CCAMLR stands for The Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources. It is an organization that holds an international agreement between 25 nations that work towards the goal of preserving the species and thereby maintaining the stability of the Antarctic marine ecosystem. This organization came into force in the year 1982 to monitor Southern Ocean ecosystem.In order to maintain a sustainable supply of krill for the future generations, the CCAMLR has established a so-called trigger level. At present this trigger level is 620,000 metric tons. Also this organization that consists of 25 members from all over the world, have set a TAC (Total Allowable Catch). The TAC limit is set at four million metric tons that cover an area of four subseas. This is calculated after a part of krill meal goes for feeding the whales, seals and penguins. With the rules and regulations of CCAMLR, the krill biomass is well controlled and sustainbale and humans can enjoy a life long supply of superior quality of omega-3 essential fatty acids derived from these powerful small crustaceans.